Darjeeling is a popular tourist destination in Eastern India blessed with the offerings of Nature and located in the Himalayan foothills.
Darjeeling continues to lure tourists from around the world due to its beautiful landscape and serenity. Darjeeling tourism has its own piquancy and flavors when it is compared with other hill stations.Below are some of the things to do in this beautiful town and enjoy Darjeeling sightseeing.
1.Darjeeling is known for its tea production and is a renowned name in the tea world. People from all corners of the world come to buy the beautiful tea leaves manufactured only in this corner of the country.Available in different flavors and grades, the leaf grade remains very popular and is exported worldwide. It would be a wise idea to spend some time with the local dealers and know about its different grades and varieties before planning to make a purchase. Planning a visit to the tea emporiums and outlets in the town would be good idea to know and learn about Darjeeling tea and its different varieties.
2. The Buddhist monasteries remains open for a tribute and foreigners come from different corners of the world to pay homage and practice Buddhist literatures and philosophy. Books, paintings and other forms of writings can be found in these monasteries and if one wants to make a purchase, he can do so. People come for mental peace and satisfaction and get to visit the different kinds of people and monks living in these monasteries.
3.Tiger Hills sunrise is something to watch out for in this part of the country where one can get ensnaring vision of mammoth peaks like Kanchenjunga, Everest, Lhotse and Makalu. Tourists can also catch the enigma in their lenses from their hotels or residence but would be required to climb the hills to get a perfect sunrise view.
4. The Gardens galore in this town so it would be a good idea to keep one day reserved for paying a visit to the different kinds of gardens available in this beautiful town. The environment prevailing in these gardens is awesome and people are lovely and very disciplined in their approach.
5. The Himalayan mountaineering Institute is a very renowned name to undergo courses related to mountaineering and allied subjects and keep oneself prepared for the big climb. The institute is supported by local volunteers and trek leaders who helps to plan expeditions and trekking in this part of the region.
6. Learning about different spices is also another way to understand and know about this beautiful destination. Locals prepare pickles and other varieties of food that remains a speciality in this town. Momos, thupkas and specific food items are available that remains very popular among food lovers from around the globe.
7. Orange plantations are very popular in this part of the country and are a very important name in the dictionary of oranges. Oranges are imported and exported worldwide and have gained prominence and recognition in the country.
8. Knowing about the different varieties of herbs and plants are a great way to learn about Darjeeling,its soil, the climatic conditions, factors affecting soil erosion, ecosystem variances and challenges that needs to be addressed while fighting environmental and climate change.
9. Sustainable and ecotourism can be implemented in this part of the country and tourism leaders do it quite well and help travellers during their trip and facilitate Darjeeling tourism. It is the travellers responsibility to learn the different approaches and methods required to keep the ecosystem viable and dynamic.
10. Being the Queen of Hills, Darjeeling remains an important discovery and continues to impress travellers and tourists and serves as the ideal honeymoon destination for couples, adventurous gateway for trekkers and an important backpacking venue for backpackers. The toy train rides are an important inclusion in the UNESCO World Heritage directory and continues to complement Darjeeling tourism and contribute to Darjeeling sightseeing.